Wednesday 18 April 2012

Publication Project - Final Cover

I think I have finally nailed the cover! I designed a little telescope symbol that sits perfectly beneath the title and looks really nice repeated on the spine:

The spine is currently set to 10mm, which I am going to work from until I get a final page count and figure from the printers. The QR code on the back cover takes you to the Bath Astronomers site.

The telescope symbol was originally like this:

However, my tutor pointed out that she wouldn't instantly think of that as a telescope. It is in fact an SCT-type scope design (Schmidt–Cassegrain Telescope) which is very popular with amateur astronomers these days, although I do agree that a more traditional "long and thin" design would work better. So I came up with this one:

It's not only more instantly recognisable but it also looks a lot better in my opinion.

With the cover finished I decided to have another stab at the star-map conundrum. It seems to me that the only workable solution is to have them on the inside covers, or endpapers.


(click for larger image)

The inside-front cover (left) shows the summer sky as at 22.00 BST on June 1st 2012 looking north, while the inside-back cover (right) shows the view to the south. I created these in Adobe Illustrator and got the positions of the constellations, planets, etc from Cartes du Ciel.

It is worth noting that after showing this to the guys at Ripe Digital, I was advised to remove the black from the spine area of the inside cover, as this could adversely affect the performance of the glue in the binding. The book will be perfect bound, in case I haven't mentioned this before.

No comments:

Post a Comment