Wednesday 4 April 2012

Publication Project - Initial Flatplan

Here's my initial flatplan. I am sure it will change a lot before the publication goes to print but you have to start somewhere and it is difficult to visualise the flow of content without this.

I want the first page to be a dedication to the memory of Dick Phillips, the founder of Bath Astronomers who sadly passed away earlier this year. I think it would be nice to have this on thin tracing paper, setting it apart from the main content of the book.

My main ideas for the bulk of the content include:

Great Expectations (or what you actually see through a telescope)
I have a great photo of Saturn that one of my friends took a few years ago. It's an expanse of black and Saturn is tiny, nestled in one corner. I think this would look great as a spread, with a comment about how blown away I was when I first saw Saturn for myself.

Urban Observatories
These are the photos I took of people's kit in their back gardens (including my own). I have six in total, so I think it could be nice to dot them throughout the publication as a kind of running theme.

In Search of Dark Skies
Profiles of Bath Astronomers' three primary observing sites at Wellow, Gypsy Lane and Marshfield.

Observing the Moon
Did you know that the worst time to look at the moon is when it is full?

Are We Alone?
Responses to my questionnaire about extraterrestrial life.

Imagers vs Observers
Some observational astronomers scoff at amateur attempts at astrophotography. Others admire the craft and dedication required, as well as the staggering results that some imagers can achieve.

Self-Build Scope
One of our number has gone to great lengths (and expense) to design and build a massive telescope from scratch. I will interview him to find out more, plus take some photos of his unique design.

I would also like to scatter a few running themes/gags throughout the publication. Firstly, I mentioned to Teresa how you learn to identify fellow astronomers by their voice and silhouette, such is the total darkness of our observing sites. She liked the idea and thought it could be a strong graphic feature. Secondly, there are a few tips for observing that I would like to present, almost as adverts in the publication, such as:
  • Remember torched need red filters to preserve night-adapted vision
  • Wrap up warm as the winter is the time for the best dark skies
  • Take a flask of hot tea when you go out observing
I think that's enough to get me started generating content. Time to crack on!

No comments:

Post a Comment