Wednesday 10 October 2012

Then & Now - Tangents

I feel the need to think differently about this project for a while. I just watched the James Victore talk on the Do Lectures site and thought I would try his approach - pick something that actually matters, fuck the visual, that's not the important bit. Well, actually the impression I get is that the final piece needs to hang together as a piece of visual design, but don't get hung up with the smaller details of typography and colour.

So I was thinking about politics, which is something I actually give a fuck about. How can anyone not give a fuck about that? Anyway, sticking with the 1972 - 2012 timescale I thought that there must be some important parallel that I could draw. How about the fact that all the politicians in 1972 were fucking assholes and in 2012 they still are? Because they are. They are a bunch of self-serving egotists who make ridiculous decisions that are not for the good of the people they serve. Maybe they should actually serve the people, by working in Starbucks or McDonalds. Of course Obama has done stuff like that, as a publicity stunt to show he is a man of the people.

Perhaps I could do a poster of Richard Nixon, daubed with the slogan LYING FUCKING ASSHOLE. Then I could do one of Barack Obama with the exact same slogan screenprinted over the top.

That could work visually. Then there could be a tiny bit of text at the bottom with the statistics to back up my opinion. That shouldn't be too hard to research. Just show the pre-election promises followed by the ones that they actually pushed through.

How about a poster of Don Foster, our very own MP. He is very different between Then and Now. Then he said he would absolutely not vote for an increase in student fees. Now he fucking well went and did exactly that! I am going to make these posters anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment