Tuesday 29 January 2013

Ski App for iPad - Initial Research

I have decided to make a beautiful iPad magazine app about Canazei, the ski resort I visited last week. I did quite a lot of in-depth research, finding out all the stuff that it would be really useful to know before a trip, the things you are unlikely to find in a regular travel guide. Some of the content will be from my own observations, with the rest made up from interviews with chalet staff and other locals. The final app can than be used as a template for other ski resorts.

I will show the app to the major UK tour operators, such as Crystal, Thomson, Inghams and Neilson, with the suggestion that they could send a link out to their customers at the time of booking, so they can bone up on the area they are visiting before they go. I would have found such an app very useful to read on the long transport from Verona to Canazei. If I have the time I would also like to make a small printed version for those without iPads or smartphones.

So to the actual content. Apart from a lot of lovely photos of the area, my app will contain details of:
  • local history, including languages spoken in the area (German, Italian, Ladin)
  • the skiing (the Sella Ronda, Dolimiti Superski, Sasslong, why are most runs marked as red?)
  • apres ski (good bars, free food, Go-Go girls)
  • the food (mountain/village restaurants, local specialities to try, cost)
  • ski excursions (Hidden Valley, World War I tour)
  • the region (nearby villages - Alba, Campitello, Pozza di Fassa)
  • getting around (buses, bus door etiquette, miserable drivers, Russians)
  • runs to resort (ski-to-door or walking in ski boots?)
  • wildlife (birds, marmottes)
  • souvenirs to look out for
  • when to go (January has poor snow record - pistes often icy and hard)
This content is obviously subject to change but I think I have plenty to be getting on with. I am thinking of calling the app "The Inside Line", "Inside Track" or something similar. The logo may look nice if the 'S' is made to look like ski tracks in the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment