Friday 15 February 2013

Penguin Design Award - Revised Cover Designs

After looking at the printed covers, I decided to change the cover of The Big Sleep to a dark grey. Nigel mentioned the way Paul Rand used grey in his work and it really made sense. Besides, The Big Sleep takes place almost entirely at night and it is constantly raining, so grey is perfectly suitable. It also looks really nice.



I decided to go for DIN Alternate Light & Medium on the back cover at 8pt, all aligned left. It has a much more modern, clean feel, which I really like. I used the same fonts for the secondary information on the front covers, shifting it all up to the top-left where there was more space, and it is more legible.

This has been a really good project where I stretched myself and got out of my digital comfort zone. Now I just need to get Steve to print and make up the blank books before I shoot them in situ at Mr B's.

After finalising the design, I did have one further idea which involved stripping the concept right back and making it more "graphic". I mocked the idea up and show it here to complete the journey, although I don't think it is particularly successful:

No comments:

Post a Comment