Wednesday 3 April 2013

Final Project Ideas

I have been thinking long and hard about what to do for my final project. I was thinking about doing a re-branding exercise for a post-coalition Lib Dem party, something biting and satirical that at a glance could pass as a real piece of PR. But I decided that I wasn't sure of my angle, beyond a comical "Hey, we fucked up!" approach. I figured I would wind up spending way too much time researching the politics and generating original content, when in reality I am on a design course, so my focus should be on that aspect.

While watching football over the weekend, I discussed my favourite terrace chants with a mate and thought it might be nice to make a little hymn book called "Hymns from the Terraces" or something similar. I would want it to look just like an old hymn book that you would find in a church. The content already exists - my job would be to research and find the best examples, organise the content in an appropriate manner and typeset it beautifully in a lovely little case-bound hardback book. It would be a really nice thing, the content would be funny and it would also be a comment on football being "the new religion".

Then I started thinking about how actors and pop stars are so revered these days - aren't they "the new gods"? How about making a little hymn book for the 21st century, containing the lyrics from the best songs of all-time? I think it would be great to see the lyrics to Beatles and Abba songs presented in a different way. How about Morrissey, or Oasis? I can't stand Oasis personally but I would still put some of their songs in, as they mean a lot to so many people. I could make my selection from all the "Best Song Ever" lists that are published by the music press each year.

Yes, I like that idea. Perhaps I will do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment