Wednesday 10 April 2013

Hymn Book - Further thoughts

After discussing my hymn book project idea with one of my tutors, I have decided to pursue the original plan of filling it with football chants. I think the line about football being like a religion is the clincher, plus using the format of an austere old hymn book filled with often obscene lyrics is too good to pass up.

I managed to get hold of an old hymn book from my parents' house:



I will look at other examples, so long as I don't spontaneously combust upon entering a church, but I do really like the idea of this sort of format. It is pretty small, measuring approximately 75mm x 115mm, so I can imagine it may be quite tricky to sew the sections together. Speaking of which, I must remember that the number of pages must be divisible by four - each section will consist of four double-sided spreads, or sixteen pages. I just hope I can find enough good football chants to make it a thick book, at least thick enough to have a substantial spine.

I want it to be case bound, using cardboard covered in some kind of cloth, which I will then screenprint on the cover and spine. I am not sure if I should make the cover up prior to printing or just print onto the cloth. If it's the latter I will do a few copies in case I make mistakes with the binding. I will research binding techniques over the next day or so, plus chase up our course leader to see if we are getting another bookbinding workshop.

Typography-wise, I want it to look as much like an old hymn book as possible, so I will probably opt for a classic serif font like Garamond or Baskerville. I will obviously do a few legibility tests at small sizes first, probably at 6pt.

On the cover I will have an image of a football, or maybe one of those old spinning rattle things that people used to take to matches. The title could be "Songs of Praise" or maybe something like "Hymns from the Terrace".

No comments:

Post a Comment