Monday 27 February 2012

Music Poster Project - Initial Ideas/Experiments

The brief was to create an A1 poster based on a song or a piece of music, using only type and no other graphical elements.

The first song I looked at was Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division. My first idea was a bit of a lame pun but there is something I quite like about it:

The typefaces and colours were just placeholder at this point, I just wanted to test the concept...


Bit of a painful pun but sometimes these things actually work really well. No? So my next idea was to have the poster ripped already to reveal the chorus lyrics beneath:

I chose Helvetica to reflect the lyrics about "routine" and how "ambitions are low". Seemed apt. Here's another version where the flap hangs down, giving the poster a 3D quality:

I then switched my attention to another song, Rip It Up by Orange Juice:

Nuff said about that one. I just needed to get the idea out of my head and into reality so I could move on to the next thing - A-Bomb in Wardour Street by The Jam:

Hmm. Didn't really see where I could take that one. How about some Radiohead?

There is something I like about all the overlapping 2s and 5s. Apart from that it's a bit shit. Then I came up with an obvious one for my favourite Radiohead song How To Disappear Completely:

And then I decided to pick one song and bloody well stick to it for more than one or two ideas. But that's for the next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment