Monday 27 February 2012

Music Poster Project - Moving Forwards

I decided to stick with Talking Heads' Psycho Killer from this point forward, and in particular the first verse:

I can't seem to face up to the facts,
I'm tense and nervous and I can't relax,
I can't sleep 'cause my bed's on fire,
Don't touch me I'm a real live wire.
 First up, I decided to take the "live wire" bit literally:

See what I did there? I thought it might be an idea to hook the wire up to car battery or something, so that it actually delivers a shock to anyone stupid enough to touch it. It's not like they aren't warned!

My next idea was to use a font that looked like stab wounds. The plan was to print this then cut the letters out with a scalpel, showing a blood-red piece of card underneath. It was a bit shit to be honest:

Why do I include my bad ideas here? I don't know. Then I hit upon the idea of having the text really tight and constrained to reflect the "tense and nervous" lyrics. I thought it would look good to have this little block of neurotic text swimming in the vastness of an A1 sheet:


For added tension I thought that the text should be uncomfortable to read:

Or maybe:

In the end I decided to use the typeface Impact and set it in a strict block:

This seems like a good point to end this post. The next thrilling instalment follows shortly, after this message from our sponsors...

No comments:

Post a Comment