Tuesday 10 April 2012

Publication Project - A Visit to the Printer



There is no way that I am going to rely on the uni printer to get my book done on time, especially as he is snowed under with third-year's degree show work. Obviously that takes priority. So I arranged a visit to Ripe Digital in Corsham.

They seem like a decent lot and they showed me around the various bits of kit and told me what could and couldn't be done. I have decided to get my books perfect-bound, which they do as individual sheets (as opposed to sections), at least on a job this small. My book/mag looks like it will come in at around 50 - 60 pages.

I want the dedication page to be on tracing paper, so I have chosen a 110gsm GSK Transparent sheet. It is not as light as I would have liked but it seems to be the lightest transparency they will put through their press. The bulk of my publication will be printed on 140gsm Xper, uncoated stock, which has a similar feel to that used in Little White Lies. I plan on using the final 10 pages or so as a showcase of some of the stunning images that my astrophotography friends have captured in their modest observatories, so these will be printed on 170gsm Freelife Gloss. I like the idea of having different paper stocks in the same publication.

The cover will be printed on the 250gsm version of Xper uncoated.

No comments:

Post a Comment