Tuesday 23 October 2012

Lecture Poster - Yuri Suzuki

This year I plan to make an A2 poster for all of our Thursday lectures. The first one up is Yuri Suzuki.

I am pretty happy with how this one has turned out. The idea came from looking at the work on Yuri's site - one of his installations is a "Breakfast Machine" (think Back to the Future or Wallace & Gromit). In one of the photos, an orange boiler-suited Yuri is standing holding a toaster and looking at a washing line with slices of bread pegged to it. I decided to toast his name into some slices of bread, then hang them on a length of washing line and photograph them. I identified the font from his website as Futura Extra Bold, so I printed out the letters and then used them as templates to make some "heat shields" out of tin foil.
 
I ditched the washing line idea in the end, but I have kept the toast so I may hang them as an installation to support the poster. The reddish orange of the table top not only looks really nice but it is a subtle reference to his boiler suit from the photo.
 
My other idea is to design a circuit board (in reference to his "Tube Map Radio")and then pick out the lines that make up his name by screenprinting gold or copper leaf onto the photo. I started designing the board but it will take a long time, and I don't have that right now. I may revisit the idea at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment