Tuesday 30 October 2012

Then & Now - Mock product shots

I managed to book the photography lighting studio yesterday and took some shots of my mock products. These are the things that I consider to be "in the student's cupboard" in the past and the present time.

Then

I really like this one. It looks very much of the time (60s/70s) and the "peas in a pod" image ties in nicely with the slogan.

This one kind of speaks for itself. Philosophical thought being one of the other worthy things that I attribute to students back in the late 60s and early 70s.

This is another one of my favourites as I believe it properly captures the essence of the era.

I am not so sure about this one now. This is from the first wave of designs I did, inspired by the Sainsburys own brand stuff from the Jonny Trunk book. The problem with these minimalist designs is that they don't really evoke the period readily enough, in my opinion, despite the colours and use of a period typeface (Impact).

Now

The following designs are are all about style over substance. Some work better than others, but I think they all serve to get the intended message across. Like modern food packaging, these have loads of extra information on the back about nutritional value (or a lack thereof).

So there you go. I am not sure quite where to go with these next. One idea would be to take a selection of products and make up mock magazine posters, some in a very 70s style and some very much now. In fact, here's a quick test I knocked up for Apathy...

No comments:

Post a Comment