Monday 8 October 2012

Then & Now - Research

Seems that in my initial thinking I was overlooking a pretty significant event that could make my work very different to everyone else in the year - I am unfortunately turning FORTY this November, so I could surely do something based on how things have changed between 1972 (then) and 2012 (now).

What were the seventies really like? I remember them to be mainly brown, orange and yellow. And bleak. There was a real sense of general gloom in the seventies. And a general weirdness, perhaps some sort of global acid comedown after the sixties. That would explain some of the horrific TV shows of the time, especially The Banana Splits and Animal Kwackers.

But my enduring memory of the seventies is definitely of the garish colour schemes, particularly the wallpaper and carpet patterns. This is an area I would like to explore for the project. I think some of the old designs would look really nice screenprinted. Perhaps I could do a couple of images, showing how pattern design has changed, if indeed it has. Maybe it has come full-circle. Certainly in terms of wallpaper design you can see some of retro patterns making a comeback, only now they are used sparingly on 'feature walls' which makes them less overwhelming. Here are a few designs that really typify seventies design for me:

These would look great screenprinted (and I need an excuse to get back into that anyway). I will have a go at knocking up a few designs, then try to figure out how to execute them...

No comments:

Post a Comment