Thursday 28 March 2013

Swearing Budgies of the World - Finished!

So I finally got the self-adhesive vinyl cut and applied it to each of my twelve budgie posters. It was a real pain to do, as the static caused them to fold or cling to my arms, and they were a nightmare to line up with the artwork. Luckily the stuff is quite forgiving and I managed to pull it off and reapply it a few times without destroying the images. It might seem a lot of bother but I think it has really added something to the project and it means that each poster is a one-off, as I am highly unlikely to go through the whole process again. I will price them accordingly when I show them at our exhibition in June.



It's not possible to get the full effect in a photo but you can definitely see where the vinyl is catching the light. All in all I am now happy with the project. However, I have always thought that as I had twelve budgies it would make sense to make a calendar. So I set to work in Indesign and made up templates, checking and double-checking all the dates for 2014. I am pretty happy with the design now and have given it to Steve to print, although he moaned about the format and said he didn't have a stapler long enough for the job (what a surprise). I am sure I can overcome.



That's the cover, which should end up printed on a thicker, glossy stock, if Steve follows my instructions. If all else fails I will pay through the nose to get a few run off at Opal or Ripe. I'd obviously rather not have to spend a bunch of money.

I had to make a little paper mock of the page layout in order to get this designed correctly, as it was a pretty weird one to get my head around in terms of spreads and how the two-sided prints would match up. Again, I left very explicit instructions with Steve, so fingers crossed...

No comments:

Post a Comment